Tuesday, January 25, 2011

FO: Baby Surprise Jacket


It's done! I finished it while watching the Steelers win on Sunday. I'm by no means a football fan, but football is a great time to knit. I can socialize with my friends who love football, and I get to knit & not have to stare at the TV the whole time. It's amazing. They decided on the tan buttons (I think a solid choice; the green wasn't the right shade), and they were really perplexed by how the sweater folded up. Once it was folded properly, they were really charmed, and loved the mitered-type design on the front. Elizabeth Zimmerman was truly a genius. 


I haven't given it a good blocking, but I was scared the colors may bleed, so I wanted to get some FO shots before-hand. 


Isn't the back handsome, too?


Yarn: Jojoland Melody Superwash in MS16, Knit Picks Risata in Woodland Sage (241224127), Malabrigo Yarn Sock in Indiecita, Plymouth Yarn Happy Choices in blue-green, Madelinetosh Sock in Cove and Ink
Needle: US 3 (3.25mm)
Mods: Knit I-cord cast-off (casting on provisionally for the I-cord), and picked up around neck to make I-cord (1 st per garter ridge and 1 st per st otherwise). Grafted neck band with border I-cord. Perfectly unclear, I know.

I knit the stripes pretty randomly. Most were knit for 3 garter ridges; some for 1 ridge, and some for 4 ridges. I tried to put colors next to each other so they transitioned well. The Jojoland and the Knit Picks seemed like exactly the same color, so I tried not to put those colors together.

Dates: 01.21.11-01.23.11 (Knitting was completed in 1 day; Sewing up required a day's break.)
Notes: Elizabeth Zimmerman bases everything on gauge. Since I didn't have a baby in mind when I knit this, I just forged with what seemed like the most common needle size to use when using sock yarn.

Leaving you with a cute picture of Mr. Beer wearing the sweater.


2 comments:

  1. It's so pretty!! love the yarn you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Lovely color choices. I have so many scraps I have been saving for one of these. Now I need to squeeze it into my queue.

    ReplyDelete