Thursday, December 8, 2011

FOs: Gathered Clutches

More FO's in Joyatee's land to show! I talked about how I was making Noodlehead's Gathered Clutches. Well, here they are!



Please don't mind all of the little imperfections that are everywhere. I definitely see them, but I chose to ignore them because the finished project is so cute! I loved making little tags (with permanent fabric markers) to go inside that say "w/ <3 by joyatee". I want to eventually figure out a way to make the tags look more professional, but these suffice for now!


For the first (red-orange) clutch, I attempted to fussy cut and place the bird a little off center, but on the gathers. I think I was pretty successful, except for the top-stitching that slices through the top of the bird's head. Ah well.


It was hard to make all of the top-stitching even. My seams are getting much more straight, and I'm getting much better at keeping consistent seam widths. However, the top-stitching often has several layers around it. That makes it much more difficult for me to properly sew a straight line. The gathers get in the way, and I can't follow my machine's guidelines as well. Practice can only help, though, right?


For the second clutch, I went with a purple and gold scheme (Go LSU!), and remembered to actually machine stitch the tag onto the lining before completing the lining.


These little imperfect but perfect bags will go to my friends along with the Endpaper Mitts to my girlfriends here as Christmas presents. We've been through a lot this past year and a half. Medical school is a whole different ballgame. I just want to finish up my axon socks, knitting-wise, and then finish my own Endpaper Mitts before I gift everything. That way we can take dorky matchy matchy pictures together. Can't wait!


I'll leave you with the stats of my clutches.


Fabric:
Red Clutch: Michael Miller, Damask in Saffron, about 1/8 of a yard and a tiny amount of Joel Dewberry Aviary 2, Sparrows in Aqua, purchased from Fabric Shoppe; left over lining from some old old old project, about 1/8 of a yard purchased from Winmill Fabrics, if I'm not mistaken
Black Clutch: Calico Fabric-Silhouette Large & Small Dots Black, about 1/8 of a yard purchased from Joann'sCrafty Cuts in Bronze Gold, about1/8 of a yard purchased from JoAnn's Fabrics as the lining.
Notions: 9 inch zippers
Year: 2010
Time to complete: 4 hours for the 1st clutch on 11.18.11; < 2 hours for the 2nd clutch on 11.21.11
Made for: Tamara and Madhavi
Size: 8 inch widths pre-seaming for the red clutch; followed the pattern for the 2nd clutch
Mods: Other than sizing, none.
Notes: The boy thinks the gathers should go all the way around or be omitted completely. I may try that at some point. Piping may also be fun, but I may leave that to the next few baby clothes I'm bound to make.

1 comment:

  1. Very cute, and thank you for the link to the tutorial. (And I don't see any mistakes!)

    ReplyDelete