Monday, July 23, 2012

FO: Jenica Hoodie


Ever since I had seen the Jenica Hoodie on Ravelry, I wanted to make it. I've already mentioned several times how I much I love all of Joji Locatelli's patterns. This was definitely no exception. 

I just gave in before Mad May and said to myself, "To heck with it. Just buy the yarn and knit it." I haven't done that in a long time because I'm always trying to use my stash actively or buying because of lusting. I rarely actually buy and immediately cast on. I am so glad I finally did so.


The sweater grew even more than my swatch predicted once I was done, so I was very glad that I had shortened the sleeves and body as much as I did. I could have used even more shortening, but it's definitely wearable. I feel like a little elfin.


The best part is that I asked my friends for some suggestions on types of buttons/zippers to go with the sweater. Everyone said wooden buttons (going with the elfish theme, I guess). I walked into my local yarn store and found the perfectly stained wooden buttons that matched perfectly with the gradations of the yarn. Everything was very, very pricey, but I am so happy with the FO.



Pattern: Jenica Hoodie by Joji Locatelli (ravelled here.)
Yarn: Madelinetosh Chunky in Jade (7.77 skeins = 1282.1 yds), from Mr. Yarn
Made for: Me
Size: 38"/40", with mods
Needles: US size 8 (5.00 mm), US size 7 (4.5 mm), US size 5 (3.75 mm)
Notions: 6 perfectly shaded wooden buttons from Mass Ave Knit Shop
Dates: 05.08.12-05.15.12
Cost: $124.16 (yarn cost) + $6 (pattern cost) + $16.05 (button cost) = $146.21 (Note to self--this costs more than my winter jacket. Must make sure I actually wear it that often. It is warm enough to wear as a winter jacket.)
Mods: 
-Only cast on 8 sts for the armpits in both the body of the sweater and the sleeves of the sweater. This gave me the body width I wanted according to my calculations.
-Knit a few extra rows before increasing for the body.
-Adjusted for the body width when I made my pockets.
-Shortened the body and the sleeves quite a bit to fit my body. I didn't account enough for how this yarn grows after washing, though. I probably should have made it shorter.
-Didn't decrease for the sleeves until I had knit 39 rounds and then did 2 rounds of decreases to continue following the pattern.
-Knit 9 row garter edge for the front band because I like symmetry.
-Placed button loops on the top of the sweater.
-Used 6 buttons instead of the 4 called for. I didn't want additional gaping.

2 comments: